Adzuki Bean Patties
Move over turkey burgers, there's a new patty in town!
These Adzuki Bean Patties are super easy to whip up and are an excellent source of protein and fibre that you can serve for any meal of the day. They also make a yummy snack! There's also a secret vegetable ingredient in them that I bet you'd never be able to tell so they pack even extra fibre and antioxidants. Yay!
The best part is that you can bake, grill, BBQ or even pan fry them and eat them as a burger, toss in a salad, or just snack on their own. Your options are limitless!
Here's what you'll need to make them:
2 cups or 1 can of adzuki beans (if canned, always ensure BPA free and free of salt)
1 sweet onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon of each: cumin, coriander and paprika
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
2 zucchini, chopped
2 chia eggs (2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of filtered water in a cup and let stand for 5 minutes)
1. Heat skillet on low to medium heat and saute onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and paprika for about 5 minutes until onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
2. Add all ingredients (with the exception of the chia eggs) into food processor, along with onion mixture and process on low. You do not want to over-process these ingredients. You want some chunks of zucchini and beans to remain.
3. Transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl and add chia eggs. Combine well.
4. Measure out about 1/4 cup, roll into balls and press down to gently flatten.
5. Prepare a baking sheet with lined parchment paper and greased gently with some coconut oil.
6. Bake at 400F for 18 minutes, turning over and baking for an additional 10-12 minutes.
7. Alternately, you can pan fry, grill or BBQ.
8. These can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a sealed glass container. Enjoy!
Makes about 12 servings.