These baked falafel are nutrient dense, full of flavour and perfect for those looking to introduce more plantbased recipes into their diet.
The key ingredient is chickpeas making this recipe high in fibre, protein, potassium, vitamins C and B6. All the goodness in just one bite!
This recipe makes between 16-20 falafel, depending on how big you make them. They refrigerate nicely for up to 5 days and can be frozen for 1-3 months. Although, I truly think you'll be lucky if they last you more than a day.
· 1 tsp coconut oil
· 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (make sure to drain very well)
· 1 onion, minced
· 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
· 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
· 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
· 1 tsp lemon juice (1/4 of small lemon)
· 1 tsp coriander powder
· 1 tsp cumin powder
· 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
· 2 tbsp chickpea flour (or oat flour)
· 1 tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp each of sea salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and greasing with a little bit of coconut oil. Set aside.
2. Mash chickpeas in food processor or with a potato masher. Place into a large mixing bowl.
3. Sautee onions in coconut oil for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and sautee for an additional minute. Add to bowl.
4. Add remaining ingredients into bowl and combine well.
5. Form mixture into small balls. Place onto baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20 minutes and flip with spatula. Bake on other side for an additional 20 minutes or until they begin to slightly brown.
7. Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Will also keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.