Want fresh homemade bagels straight out of your kitchen? This healthy bagel recipe only takes 30 minutes. These bagels are enriched with buckwheat flour, are free of dairy, yeast and refined sugars and can be made vegan and/or gluten free. Enjoy them for breakfast with avocado and a poached egg or smoked salmon. Makes 4 servings.
3/4 cup organic, unbleached all purpose flour (can use gluten free flour)
1/4 cup + 2-4 tablespoons buckwheat flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder, aluminum free
3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 cup soft tofu, organic and non-GMO
1 egg or 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (for egg wash)
Himalayan sea salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated onion flakes, fine herbs, Italian herbs, etc.
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with a little bit of coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add flours, baking powder and salt. Combine well.
3. Add tofu and squeeze tofu and flour together, allowing clumps to form. Continue blending the mixture until a pizza dough consistency is reached.
4. If dough is very sticky, add 1 flat tablespoon of buckwheat flour at a time.
5. Roll dough into a round ball and divide into quarters. Roll each quarter into a round ball and then roll in between hands into cylinders.
6. Pinch ends together forming a bagel shape and lay on baking sheet. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough.
7. With a basting brush, lightly coat each bagel with egg wash (beat 1 egg in bowl) or extra virgin olive oil (for vegan option).
8. Sprinkle with desired toppings.
9. Bake for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes prior to enjoying.