Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These drool worthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars will have you wondering how on earth the main ingredient is chickpeas. What's harder to believe is that they are vegan, made with whole ingredients and are free of flour and refined sugar (minus the chocolate chips).
Chickpeas are the key player in making this a healthy dessert because they (among other beans) are known to slow down the rate at which sugar is absorbed in your bloodstream. Chickpeas are also an excellent source of fibre and they add decadence and moisture to this recipe.
These bars are a definite crowd pleaser, making them a great choice for social gatherings, especially during the Holiday Season. Enjoy this guilt free dessert with those you love. Trust me, they'll love you for it even more!
Recipe (makes 16 bars)
1 can of chickpeas, BPA free and no salt
1/2 cup almond (or peanut) butter
1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda, aluminum free
1/4 teaspoon baking powder, aluminum free (and free of wheat/corn starch)
1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
coconut oil for greasing parchment paper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper gently greased with coconut oil and set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine all ingredients (with the exception of the chocolate chips). Process until you reach a smooth consistency.
4. Transfer batter mixture to a medium sized bowl and fold in chocolate chips.
5. Transfer batter mixture to the baking dish and smooth out the top.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cookie bar comes out clean and dry.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for a minimum of 10 minutes.
8. Cut into desired size squares and enjoy!